Personal Challenge Campaigns are a great way encourage your supporter's individual goals and at the same time meet a fundraising goal for your organization. A Personal Challenge is a way for an individual to create a themed- personal outreach which may only have a charitable purpose, or it may have dual purposes (the individual's goal and the fundraising goal). In fact, the dual purpose is key to a successful campaign because the individual benefits as well as the organization.
The Personal Challenge Campaign lists all of the participants, aggregates all of the individual fundraisers and provides and overview of the fundraising initiative. These campaigns are a great way to give focus to individuals fundraising efforts. Your organization defines an initiative and your supporters can participate to help reach the goal by creating their own fundraising page.
There are three important elements to a successful Personal Challenge Campaign:
- Goal - This can be a monetary goal or a goal of funding a specific project for the organization. For the individual fundriasers the goal can be personal. But whatever the goal is, the key is to make it clear and use it as a "call to action" that has a specific time frame.
- Theme - A theme can help individual fundraisers organize around a reason to fundraise. A theme could range from the traditional walk-a-thon, bowl-a-thon, etc. to more creative initiatives that may encourage your supporters to reach a personal goal and using their fundraiser as an opportunity to maintain their commitment through the support of their friends and family. Here are some examples:
Promotion - Even though your individual supporters are doing the fundraising there is much you can do to help in this area. This can include promotion to recruit the fundraisers, general promotion to your supporters to support one of the fundraisers, and promotion tips to the fundraisers throughout the duration of the campaign.
- Dare (shave my head, get a date with a celebrity, etc.)
- Personal development (lose weight, quit smoking, learn Tai-chi, finish my MBA, learn to cook, etc)
- Personal goal (recycle more, carpool or take public transit, run a race, etc.)
- Celebrate a milestone (birthday, graduation, turning 40, getting married 2nd time, etc.)
- Fun (have a party, ugly Christmas Sweater Party, wine tasting, go camping, neighborhood potluck, etc.)
- Personal Story - personal story telling about their connection with the organization and cause.
There are several key benefits to organizing Personal Challenge Campaigns.
- Creates a sense of urgency
- Let's people see the collective impact
- Fosters a healthy competition between individual fundraisers. They can also learn from each other and encourage each other.
- Extends your reach to the friends and family of your supporters
How to Create a Personal Challenge Fundraiser
1. Create The Personal Challenge Campaign - more details
To create a new Campaign go to the organization dashboard and click on 'New Campaign.' This will take you to the Campaign Profile, where you set up all of the Campaign details that are used to configure what your Supporters and Donors will see. Below is a detailed explanation of each field and how it is used.
2. Configure the Campaign Layout - more details
3. Establish or Confirm Merchant Services - more details
While Personal Challenges will be promoted primarily by those who create them, as the administrator, you should periodically select Email Launched Fundraisers and send them an email encouraging them to promote their fundraisers. Use the Personal Challenge - Promotional Plan below as your guide - you can also include this guide in an email to them.